The official release posteer for the movie, collecting most key characters.
As mentioned above the movie is the follow up to the film set to bring Neon Genesis Evangelion to the 21st century though it is clear from the opening scene.The film opens without any p**sing around, we are introduced to a totally new character, piloting a somewhat cluncky looking prototype evangelion unit. Things happen and we find ourselves back in Japan for the seventh angel and despite the fight ending somewhat swiftly we are not dissapointed, with the introduction of yet another evangelion and pilot, Asuka Langley Shikinami (yes, they changed her sirname but I personaly never cared for the b**thy, loud, self centered... you get it). After being smacked in the lips by a double bill of angel ass kicking we turn to the characters themselves, Asuka dominates the scene bouncing of the evangelion, literaly sweeping our lead, Shinji off his feet. Moving between him, Rei and Misato. Even the apparently less important characters such as Ryoji get some well deserved screen time to develop his character. These developments are moved along with help from some entertaining comedy, gripping character development and of course, edge of the seat angel clashes.
Our leading couple(maybe), Shinji and Rei as they appeared in the 90s NGE
Of course it isn't just the supporting cast that see their characters evolve and the developments somewhat differ from the much loved (or hated) cast of the 90s, needless to say this only serves to make the sequal all the better. While the origina series featured a range of characters and plots that twisted and turnedd amongst one another the characters remained relativly the same. This is almost a polar opposite to what we see in the first of the rebuild movies: You Are (not) Alone, characters are developing right from their introduction and Evangelion 2.0 does not let go of this philosophy. This makes every character not only more human but means that we are allowed to become attached to some of our favourite characters while hating others and at the same time characters still retain the key aspects that made them memorable in the original. Shinji is still spoiled but we are feel his reasons are more valid and of course the transformation of probably my favourite character in the series (and in the history of anime) is Rei who starts out as nothing more than a puppet, gradually learning the importance of human imotion and the joys of being with others.

The second half of the film is where You Can (not) Advance comes into it's own, we see the polotics and organisation of a nation collide creating the spectacular we know as Neon Genesis Evangelion and lets not forget the indepth visceral action, the horror of human capability that makes your spine crawl. And then...
...There is the final 30 minutes that takes everything the audience expects and throws it aside replased by the most tense half an hour I've experienced in a long time, and everytime I watch this film as I have done on nearly a weekly basis. Though I probably shousd have expected it as Hideaki Anno isn't one to wast the chance to f**k with peoples heads.
After the comparably sedate, almost relaxed first half we come to see what makes and what will make the rebuild of Evangelion such a memerable spectacular. The last time I watched the film I had to just sit in the dark for twenty minutes and breath; something I hadn't done much of for a good hour. The visuals are incredible even for the more relaxed, conversational scenes and the 3D effects of the already breath takeing Tokyo 3 hold up to expectations of the first film and beond.
Anyone who watched the movie and TV series to see if the soundtrack lived up to the expectations of the series and Angels of doom (as used in You Are (not) Alone) will want to know about the soundtrack for the sequal and put simply it does not fail to impress. Shiro Sagisu once again is brilliant, his music feels fresh and well placed with each scene it is featured in.
Manga Entertainment did a brilliant job of the UK release and while I only have the pleasure of the already stunning DVD I have no doubts of the Blue ray version being just as beautiful.
The disc contains rather standard features and extras, trailers and music videos as well as some interesting deleted scenes and while they are very early rough cuts the pictures they paint are interesting and well worth the watch while the US commentary is somewhat dull.

The second half of the film is where You Can (not) Advance comes into it's own, we see the polotics and organisation of a nation collide creating the spectacular we know as Neon Genesis Evangelion and lets not forget the indepth visceral action, the horror of human capability that makes your spine crawl. And then...
...There is the final 30 minutes that takes everything the audience expects and throws it aside replased by the most tense half an hour I've experienced in a long time, and everytime I watch this film as I have done on nearly a weekly basis. Though I probably shousd have expected it as Hideaki Anno isn't one to wast the chance to f**k with peoples heads.
After the comparably sedate, almost relaxed first half we come to see what makes and what will make the rebuild of Evangelion such a memerable spectacular. The last time I watched the film I had to just sit in the dark for twenty minutes and breath; something I hadn't done much of for a good hour. The visuals are incredible even for the more relaxed, conversational scenes and the 3D effects of the already breath takeing Tokyo 3 hold up to expectations of the first film and beond. Anyone who watched the movie and TV series to see if the soundtrack lived up to the expectations of the series and Angels of doom (as used in You Are (not) Alone) will want to know about the soundtrack for the sequal and put simply it does not fail to impress. Shiro Sagisu once again is brilliant, his music feels fresh and well placed with each scene it is featured in.
Manga Entertainment did a brilliant job of the UK release and while I only have the pleasure of the already stunning DVD I have no doubts of the Blue ray version being just as beautiful.
The disc contains rather standard features and extras, trailers and music videos as well as some interesting deleted scenes and while they are very early rough cuts the pictures they paint are interesting and well worth the watch while the US commentary is somewhat dull.


No comments:
Post a Comment