Sunday, 6 April 2014

30 DAY ANIME CHALLENGE DAY 5

Still feel like crap so bear with me...

DAY 5- FAVORITE OVA- Gunslinger Girl IL Teatrino- So in short I love almost everything to do with  this series apart from the end of the manga not because it was crap but because I cried for an hour solid. And continued to do so on my second and third readthroughs. The anime on the other hand while I enjoyed it thoroughly and am still hunting for the first series it was not quite to my expectation so when I saw the trailer for IL Teatrino I was unsure of what to think. The animation style for the second series reminded me of something produced by KyoAni, (Put Rico next to Nagato from tMoHS and you'll see what I'm on about). The series impressed me more than I expected. The violence had been upped a little closer to the level seen in the manga and the dubbing (having watched series 1 subbed) wasn't too bad.
   The OVA's did not disappoint much. Put simply it fills in the fluff after at the end of the sixth volume of the manga, allowing for a somewhat lighter take on the backgrounds of some of the characters. The only thing that disappointed me personally was how damn short it was, which I shouldn't complain about as it stuck perfectly with the last two chapters of the volume but each episode of the OVA lasted no more than twenty minutes each and maybe it's because I'm a bit of a cheap skate but I was not and still am not prepared to pay £10 for a forty minute DVD, arguably Blood the last vampire is not much longer but that doesn't even come to half the above price. I won't even go in to the fact that I could buy both Evangelion movies for the same price as this DVD.

   So... It seems self explanatory as to why this OVA is at the top of my list it just so happens that it fleshes out the back story of one of my favorite characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment